IMPORT WORK ITEMS TO ORCANOS
Note: Defects cannot be imported using the Import builder. For that you’ll need to use the old version of Orcanos Migrator
Once you set up your Import File correctly, so now you’ll log in to your Orcanos account and use Orcanos Work items Import Builder to upload your file.
To upload your work items to Orcanos, follow these steps.
- Select “Work Items” option from the main menu
- On the left pane, select the work item you wish to import (For example, Software Requirement)
- From the “More Actions” menu, Select Import -> New Import Setup
Note: If you wish to import from existing Import setup
- Click Import > From CSV which will allow you to skip New Import Setup steps.
- The Import Setup screen opens
Name – Unique name to the import setup (you can define few import setups). Leave Import Name Blank in case you don’t want to save and store the setup for future use.
Data source type – select CSV file
Data Source – choose the file from your computer
Work Item – shall be the work item you wish to import
Unique Identifier – Orcanos ID
Import from External System – Checkbox, if Selected it does not do any mapping with Orcanos ID. If not selected, it do the mapping with the existing Orcanos ID
External Unique Identifier – the unique identifier from the CSV file
- Click Next to go to the Import Mapping Fields step and match the columns in your import file to the fields in your Work Item.
- The left side shows the Orcanos Work item fields. The right column allows you to select a field from the import file and match it to the Orcanos field
Please note: The values of fields in CSV file MUST exist in the corresponding field in Orcanos, in case it’s a Combo box type field.
Status column in Excel contains New, Approved.
So, Status in Orcanos must have these 2 values EXACTLY, otherwise it will generate error when migrating. If it appears as Approve for example, the record will be coloured in red with error message
- Click Save to save the import setup or Save & Import to save setup and import the data
Note: Data is imported into a temp environment, and in order to add it to Orcanos database, you would need to approve each record
HANDLING IMPORTED DATA IN TEMP
Once data imported into temp environment, you can decide for each record if to add or update existing as follows:
Import allows to list 1000 records per page.
Actions column: Allows you to select the desire action: Add, Update, Discard
- The system checks if item already imported using the unique identifier setup in the CSV file, in our case the field ID. In this example, ID 1 and 2 were already imported before, so system shows the update icon.
The updated fields are shown in red, and also in the comment column.
Orcanos Key shows the related Orcanos Work Item Hyperlink
- If it’s a new item (ID wasn’t imported yet to Orcanos) – the user can click Add in order to add new item.
If the Item is updated in the google sheet, you can see two options:
– Update the existing one
– Create a new item by clicking on Add Icon
- Discard this item (on the next import the system will recognize that this specific ID in CSV file was discarded).
Next system shows the mapped columns (in our example, ID and Name).
Parent – If you wish to add the item under specific parent – put the ID. If empty – item is added to the pool (backlog) means it is not shown in the Product tree.
Error – If any error occurs it is shown in Error column.
Last Action – shows the last action selected by the user (NEW, UPDATE, DISCARD)
IMPORT FROM EXISTING SETUP
From the “More Actions” Menu, Select Import->From CSV
Select Predefined settings – Select an import setup already defined
Select File – Select CSV file. Make sure it’s in the same format as defined in the import setup selected